Re: cant boot with kernel 2.6.8

Am Samstag 09 Oktober 2004 02:10 schrieb Ian L:
> [..]
> > [..]
> > As for why one kernel boots and the other doesn't, I don't know.  I
> > suspect it's related to your bootloader and the fact that the
> > installed kernel comes from the same source as the partition table,
> > but that's a total guess.
> >
> >Justin
>
> Do you think it would be worth it to try re-installing and using grub
> instead of lilo? or loading it into the MBR instead of the partition?
>
> thanks again.
>
> Ian

Hello Ian,

I think it's not necessary to reinstall the whole system, particulary if
you have the install cd's, a bootfloppy or a knoppix system.

First have alook in the lilo doc's to figure out how you have messed up
your lilo.conf (I think it's due to accidental misconfiguration). Type:
$ egrep -A35 "('LI')" /usr/share/doc/lilo/README.common.problems

Then you can boot from a cd and change to a console by typing ALT+F2.
Make shure that you're root.

# fdisk -l /dev/{Your 1st hd} /dev/{your 2nd hd} (optional)
# mount /dev/{your rootpartitition} /mnt/elsewhere
# chroot /mnt/elsewhere
# mount -a
# $EDITOR /etc/lilo.conf (edit your lilo.conf with your prefered editor)
# lilo
# reboot

If you can figure out why you got this 'LI' error from lilo (see the
docs), than this could be a useful way to solve your problem.

Kind regards

Gerhard Gaußling