Re: gdm hangs

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:39:23 -0500, G. Zachariah White
<gzachariah@alumni.brandeis.edu> wrote:
> I've been poking around on the web and in books, but I haven't been able
> to find anything that addresses my problem.
>
> I've installed Woody from CD on a Compaq Presario PII.  I have a
> Logitech PS/2 wheel mouse and a standard 104 keyboard.  When I boot up,
> the system hangs at the Gnome login screen.  No blinking cursor, no
> mouse control, no keyboard response.  The clock tells time, so something
> is still movin'.  The only option is to power cycle.  I've managed to
> move X (the file) to X.bak so that I can boot and use the bash terminal.
>
> Any ideas about what to check or fiddle with to get my gui going?

If you're stuck at the GDM login screen i suggest you to look in your
/var/log/gdm or your /var/log/XFree86.0.log for error messages...

Andrea

P.S. you should be able to start your gnome session even without GDM,
put a file ".xinitrc" with a line "gnome-session" and then launch the
"startx" command (the .xinitrc stuff isn't the Debian way to do it but
i have not time to check the correct way =)

P.P.S. you can avoid GDM to run at boot modifying your
/etc/X11/default-display-manager