how to configure SFTP

Hi All,

I'm trying to setup sftp on my debian box, but am having some difficulty.

I can log into it via ssh (using private/public keys and associated passphrase), but when I try to make a connection via sftp I get the following error message:

Request for subsystem 'sftp' failed on channel 0
Couldn't read packet: Connection reset by peer

I have tried adding the following lines (not all at the same time) to the sshd_config file:

subsystem sftp
subsystem sftp-server
subsystem /usr/lib/sftp-server
subsystem-sftp sftp-server

When restarting sshd I get an error about either a bad configure option (last line) or missing subsystem comman (first 3 lines).

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Cheers.

David