Re: SSH Cracking Attempts

In message <2JS0g-4nG-47@gated-at.bofh.it>, Jacob S <stormspotter@6Texans.net> writes

So, my question is this. Is there a way to tell ssh to refuse
connections from an ip address after a certain number of failed login
attempts, or is snort the only way to do something like this? So far
I've been taking the manual approach, blocking the ip address with
my firewall after I see it hitting the logs, but that can give them
about an hour to play before I notice it (e-mailed to me by logcheck).

Nothing built-in, but you can automate what you do already. A cron job every five minutes using grep on your log file, issuing an iptables command...

On the other hand, if he's already tried two or three times and failed to spot a criminally weak account/password pair, why bother blocking? I rarely seem to get more than two from the same IP in the same day. I haven't bothered checking all of them over the last three months.
--
Joe