Newbie trying to install Soundcard on Debian Linux

-----Original Message-----
From: Marion Hall [mailto:hallm@1satcom.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 5:05 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: RE: Newbie trying to install Soundcard on Debian Linux

Am Dienstag, 28. September 2004 18:35 schrieb Marion Hall:
> From: news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Andreas Janssen
> Marion Hall (<hallm@1satcom.com>) wrote:
>>>
>>> What's the easiest way to install soundcard drivers on system.
>>> I've setup an Icecast server and I need a working sound card.  My
>>> computer (Gateway) has an onboard soundcard, but if it is easier to
>>> install a soundcard, then I can do that.  Also, how do you go about
>>> testing the sound card once the driver is installed.
>>
>> If you want to use the OSS drivers (which are available in kernel
>> 2.2, 2.4 and 2.6), add yourself to the audio group, and load the
>> driver. Use lspci and a search engine to find out which one you need.
>> If you can't find out which driver you need, you can also ask here.
>>
>> If you want to use the ALSA drivers (included if you use kernel 2.6,
>> but you can compile the drivers for older kernels), install the
>> alsa-base, alsa-utils and alsa-oss packages. Run alsaconf to set up
>> the driver, add yourself to the audio group, and run alsamixer to
>> unmute the channels.
>
> I ran lspci -v and got the following on the audio:
>
> 00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97]

That is the same chip that was used on some Sound Blaster PCI cards. The
chip should be supported by the es1371 driver. To use the OSS driver,
try

modprobe es1371

To load the driver automatically when the sound card is accessed for the
first time, add

alias sound-slot-0 es1371

to /etc/modutils/local (kernel 2.4) and/or /etc/modprobe.d/local (kernel
2.6). Next run update-modules. Note: You can add the line to any file
in /etc/modutils or /etc/modprobe.d, not necessarily local.

If you want to use the ALSA driver (e.g if you use kernel 2.6), install
the mentioned packages, and run alsaconf. It will do everything for you
(except for the group thing). Note that perhaps you need to
remove /etc/modprobe.conf if you use Kernel 2.6 and a not so recent
version of module-init-tools.

> [...]
>
> I know how to add myself to the audio group.  (Is that just to
> install the drivers, or does every user have to be added to the audio
> group?)

You need to be in the audio group to get read and write access to the
sound device files in /dev. Every user that wants to access the sound
card needs to be in the audio group. To load the driver, you need to be
root. Root does not have to be member of the audio group.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976
http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps.html

When I run modprobe es1371 : It gives me the error Can't locate module
es1371.  How do I install that module?

I added the alias entry above and ran update-modules, but the ices isn't
able to stream from the line in source.

How can I test the audio configuration from the shell so that I go into the
ices setup knowing that my audio drivers are working.

Thanks for your help

Marion Hall

http://www.nod32.com