From: Mr. Jan Hearthstone
[mailto:hearthstone11@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 28 September 2004 4:23 p.m.
To: debian-user-digest@lists.debian.org
Subject: "Dynamic MMap ran out of room"

  I am geting a mesage from "apt-get" that: ...
  "Reading Package Lists... Error!
  E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
  E: Read error - read (14 Bad address)
  E: The package lists or status file could not be
parsed or opened."

  I don't get any xwindows, so whatever I am going
do to at least salvage some of my files will have to
happen from the consoles.
 What should I do?
 Thanks, Hearthstone.

I restored the sources.list to its original state, did
"apt-get update", but it's the same.
  Thnx, Hearthstone.

=====

you need to add the line into the /etc/apt/apt.conf file.
create the file if it doesnt exiast eg: vi /etc/apt/apt.conf

and then on the first line it add in

go see this for an example
#
http://www.st.jyu.fi/~juhtolv/configs/apt/apt.conf

or from cmd line

apt-get -o APT::Cache-Limit=16777216 update

sets it 16mb

hth

tim