Re: Re. Bootloader for Sarge ("L 99 99 99 99 99...")

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 07:42:53PM -0700, Matthew Jackson wrote:
> Ok. I posted earlier about not being able to boot GRUB or LILO on my second
> HD from the XP NTLDR. It gave me the error "Unable to load from hard drive.
> Please insert System disk and hit enter" I though that was bootpart giving
> me that error but now I think that it is GRUB or LILO (same error occured
> when I used either). The reason being is when I hit enter with or without a
> Debian CD in the drive I receive a "L 99 99 99 99 99 99..." printed accros
> the screen. I had no clue what that was, until now when I did a search on
> it and people state that that is a Grub error, meaning I am in Grub on the
> linux drive.
>
> 1) Are my assumptions correct?
> 2) How do I fix this?
>
> Matt

Please keep on-list, people there are know much more than me, in
particular I have no experience with XP and ntldr.  CCing d-u.

"Please insert System disk and hit enter" smells like a windows error
message.
"L 99 ..." is a lilo error, not grub.

Problem with your mbr?

I would try boot grub from floppy and from there install grub to the mbr
of the hard drive you normally boot from.  Boot xp from here as others
have suggested.

Or, to restore windows, boot with your XP disk into the repair console
and use 'fixmbr'.

hth,
Patrick.