Re: write access to /proc/bus/usb [for scanners]

Once upon a time Chris Purves said...
> I've set up an usb scanner recently, but I am having permissions problems.
> The scanner generally resides in /proc/bus/usb/003 but only root has
> read/write permissions.  What I have been doing is manually changing the
> permissions access every time I want to run the scanner.  (using xsane)

Are you sure only root has permission? Is there group read/write
permission for the group "scanner"?

My USB scanner is appearing with group scanner write privs.

If the device is not set to group scanner, have a look in
/etc/hotplug/usb/libsane.usermap. The comments at the top of this file
describe how the scanner permissions should be managed.