Re: IDE zip, udev: partition 4 is not created

Le Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:30:04 +0200, Cyril Humbert a écrit :

> [Please, CC me, I don't subscribe to the list]
>
> Hello,
>
> I experience problems to use IDE zip drive with udev: the
> fourth partition is not created at boot time. It seems to
> be a known problem. For Debian there's a (closed) bug report:
>
>  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=260349&archive=yes
>  "The partition files for an IDE zip drive are not created"

I did reformat my floppy with a first partition instead of 4th (was before
udev) and never encountered a problem (tested on mac and linux, maybe
windows requires the 4th partition)
As far as i know the 4th partition was requires years ago and is still
used by default for compatibility reason ... though i guess all readers by
now support the 1st partition on zip. No need to tweak udev then.

Else:

> I don't see any FAQ in /usr/share/doc/udev for example and the
> syntax of /etc/udev.rules or udev(8) manpage are a little bit
> obscure to me. Any help appreciated.

from udev.rules, i made this rule to set permission on a cdrom. It gives
syntax for apply a rule on a "kind" of ide device

# There are a number of modifiers that are allowed to be used in some
# of the different fields. They provide the following subsitutions:
#%n - the "kernel number" of the device.
#For example, 'sda3' has a "kernel number" of '3'
# %k - the kernel name for the device.
# %M - the kernel major number for the device
# %m - the kernel minor number for the device
# %b - the bus id for the device
# %c - the string returned by the PROGRAM. (Note, this doesn't work within
# the PROGRAM field for the obvious reason.)
# %s{filename} - the content of a sysfs attribute.
# %% - the '%' char itself.
#

BUS="ide", KERNEL="hde", PROGRAM="/bin/cat /proc/ide/%k/media", RESULT="cdrom*", NAME="%k", MODE="0660", GROUP="cdrom", SYMLINK="cdrecorder"

this read (with /bin/cat) the /proc/ide/*/media files . For a zip drive on
ide (BUS), this output "floppy" (here RESULT="cdrom*"
KERNEL is not required , i use it to select the first cdrom , with its
kernel name .
NAME="%k" is the device name udev will create under /dev, %k tell udev to
use the same name provided by kernel (here hde).
MODE, GROUP are used to set permission on this file
and SYMLINK to have a standard name in my applications (i always map the
cd writer to /dev/cdrecorder)

> /--
> | kernel 2.6.7
> |  udev 0.031-2
> |
> | cat /etc/fstab | grep zip
> | /dev/hdd4 /media/zip vfat user,noauto,showexec 0 0
> `--

Good luck, please report wich options bet fitted your usage.

Alban