Adding a kernel module - to get iptables to work.

Hi,
I'm trying to get iptables working on a x86 PC running 3.0r2. I now have installed a .deb package, but everytime I try to run /sbin/iptables, it reports something like the following - I say' something like', as I can't cut and paste from a terminal - is there a secret to that one? I'm sure there must be some way of copying the output of a terminal into Mozilla. I'm using KDE.

Anyway,

# /sbin/iptables
modprobe: Can't locate module iptables.
iptables v1.2.6a: can't initialize iptables filter 'table': iptables who? (do you need to run insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

Anyway, this error occured on the default kernel, which I think is 2.2.20. I think iptables runs on the 2.4 kernel and ipchains on the 2.2, so perhaps its not surprising it did not work on 2.2.20.

I've since updated the kernel to 2.4.19, but have not touched the iptables, which I got as a package. I did enable support for modules when I built the kernel.

I assume I need to load a module into the kernel, but are not sure if I load it with 'modload', whether I need to rebuild the kernel again, or whether I should remove the iptables package and download the source for iptables.

I'm a linux newbie. I've probably administered a linux system for a total of about 8 hours. I do however know UNIX quite well, having a good knowledge of Solaris, and have systems at home running other versions of UNIX (AIX, tru64, HP-UX and IRIX) which I occasionally use for testing the portability of software.

--
Dr. David Kirkby PhD CEng MIEE
Senior Research Fellow