Re: devfs -> udev, user mounting etc

    >>  However - I need the Lexar* links to go to /dev/sd?1 where ?
    >> is the sd device for each in turn - in the above example
    >>
    >> LexarSM -> /dev/sda1 LexarCF -> /dev/sdb1 LexarSD -> /dev/sdc1

    Dave> I don't have any multi-function devices, so I'm afraid I
    Dave> can't be of much help here.

OK - this is possible with a slight change. On one of the google hits
for udev it talked about using the KERNEL="sd?1" match - but that
doesn't work with multi-function devices since the sd?n devices aren't
present in time. However - using the following works for me:

BUS="scsi", SYSFS{model}="Media Inc. SM/xD", NAME{all_partitions}="LexarSMxD"
BUS="scsi", SYSFS{model}="Media Inc. CF", NAME{all_partitions}="LexarCF"
BUS="scsi", SYSFS{model}="Media Inc. SD/MS", NAME{all_partitions}="LexarSDMS"

Note - that this creates /dev/LexarSMxD, /dev/LexarSMxD1,
/dev/LexarSMxD2 etc etc. Not as symlinks but as devices - you don't
get the /dev/sd.. links - but in fstab I have a noauto,user,rw mount
from /dev/LexarSMxD1 to /mnt/lexar_sm - and it works just great.

I also have a USB keyring (MobileDisk). This works with:

BUS="scsi", SYSFS{model}="MOBILE Disk     ", KERNEL="sd?1", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="MobileDisk"

This is because when you plug it in the sda1 (or sd?1) device is
created too - so - this can keep it's kernel name and get a symlink.

    >> I also have another card reader (Unomas). That has empty vendor
    >> and model strings (note - this example from while I still had
    >> devfs style naming). How to match this one with SYSFS{???} ?
    >>
    Dave> Have you tried udevruler with this plugged in? I made most
    Dave> of my rules by snooping around /sys using lynx, but the
    Dave> udevruler program looks a lot easier.

I'll give it a go.

Have to say - the more I use udev the more I like it. I never got
devfs to work exactly as I wanted - so this is good stuff :-)

Dave - you said you were using autofs to mount some of your devices?
You haven't got an example config file you could send?

--
Chris Searle