Re: Alsa in Debian Sarge? How to?

Hello

Pascal Bonesh (<firms@tiscali.ch>) wrote:

> [switching from OSS to ALSA]
> apt-get alsa-base alsa-headers alsa-oss alsa-utils alsaplayer
> alsaplayer-alsa alsaplayer-common alsaplayer-gtk alsaplayer-oss
>
> On my debian sarge with 2.6.7-1-686 Standard Kernel.

So the Libraries and Apps are installed.

> I don't know, I expected apt to ask me to remove oss or configure
> alsa, so that all apps use it instead of oss. But no questions were
> asked and alsa was installed without a hitch and without a question.

OSS doesn't have any packages containing libs like ALSA. To use it, you
only need the drivers from the kernel-image package. So there is
nothing to uninstall, except maybe for output plugins of your
applications.

> I tried xmms with the alsa output plugin: it didn't work. So then
> I ran alsaconf. Which has let me choose my soundcard and so I did. It
> then told me that alsa is ready to run. Nevertheless: xmms and
> alsaplayer play but no sound.
>
> I googled a bit and found that you may have to do some more things
> like:  add the following in /etc/modutils/aliases for my soundcard
> (it's an intel soundcard in an IBM Thinkpad t40p):

There is no need to do that. First, if you use Kernel 2.6, you must make
the changes to /etc/modprobe.d, not /etc/modutils. Second, the debian
package management and alsaconf should take care of that. On my system
I have:

andreas@sirius:~$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm
&& /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss
install snd-mixer /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-mixer
&& /sbin/modprobe snd-mixer-oss
install snd-seq /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-seq
&& /sbin/modprobe snd-seq-oss

andreas@sirius:~$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1

The only thing I had to do was to add snd-emu10k1 to /etc/modules,
because without it the init skript for setting the default volume
failed.

> I rebooted (just to be on the save side) and started Gnome, I again
> tried to run XMMS with the alsa output plugin, but it didn't work.
> Nevertheless the OSS ouput plugin still works.

That probably means that the OSS driver module is loaded before the alsa
module is loaded. That way ALSA can't work. You need to make sure that
the OSS driver is not loaded. Check /etc/modules for the driver,
and /etc/modprobe.d/* for entries like

alias sound-slot-0 driver

where driver does /not/ begin with snd.

> I did /etc/init.d/alsa start (and also reload and force-reload, but no
> option makes alsaplayer/XMMS work)

That will only reload the volume settings.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976