colours stoped working in vi

I just upgraded my computer from testing for the first time in about a
week and vim stoped working properly. It no longer displays syntax
highlighting eventhough I have changed nothing. This problem exists in
both vim and gvim, (gvim is provided through the 'vim-gtk' package).

with gvim I get the following message when I access a simple 'c' file,
but I also get the same error with other types of files.

Error detected while processing /usr/share/vim/vim63/syntax/synload.vim:
line   19:
E185: Cannot find color scheme ron
filetype unknown

Everything that I can think of trying of seems to make no difference.
$VIMRUNTIME points to the correct directory. I have tried telling vim
the file type using the command 'set filetype'  but this makes no
difference. I have also tried using different colour schemes but this
also makes no difference. The colour syntax files are in the correct
location.

This problem occurs in terminals and xterms, colour is definately
enable on those terminals since 'ls' displays colours.

Has anyone any ideas what may have caused this problem to occure.

Paul