Re: cdrecord issues since 2.6 move

> Brian Pack <afcpack@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> |> I've compiled from each kernel-source-2.6.8-* that has come through
> in |> the last week. With 2.6.8-2, the memory leak has apparently been
> |> fixed, so I can run as root and burn audio CDs, but as of last
> night's |> 2.6.8-5 package, I still cannot burn as a regular user.
>
> As I understand it, this was a policy-decision taken by the kernel
> developers when 2.6.8 was released---for security reasons.  It caused a
> lot of discussion and aggravation (and another flame-fest with the
> author of cdrecord), but there has been no change of heart, as far as I
> know.
>
> So my understanding is that, for the present at least, if you want to
> be able to burn CDs as a non-root user, you can't venture beyond
> 2.6.7.
>
> If I'm wrong about this, I hope someone will correct me,
>
> Jim

>From what I have read this is correct. For those interested for some
reason after moving to 2.6 kernel I am no longer able to burn at 16x,
which is max speed. Reducing speed to 12x solved my problem.

Regarding the issue of 2.6 kernel not allowing non-root users to burn
CDs. I used sudo:

/etc/sudoers
<username>   localhost = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/cdrecord
<username>   localhost = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/cdrecord.mmap

and then modified /usr/bin/cdrecord:

#!/bin/sh
VERS=`uname -r`
case "$VERS" in
    exec cdrecord.shm "$@"
  ;;
  *)
    exec sudo cdrecord.mmap "$@"
  ;;
esac

Now I can burn from Gnome's Nautilus as a non-root user again.

--
Kevin C. Smith