Re: graphics GNU C

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 10:14:20PM -1200, chiqui wrote:
> Any advice on how to use graphics using C in a GNU compiler...Thank you very
> much.

C is graphics-agnostic, and there are many graphics libraries you can
use:

SVGALib:    1 For full screen games etc
XLib:       1 Windows-on-the-screen (for graphical sessions only)
Xt/Athena:  2 Like Xlib, but has built in support for things like
              pushbuttons, so you don't need to do as much.
Xt/Motif:   2 Like Athena, but different style
Qt:         3 Like Athena, but different style (used by KDE)
Gtk:        3 Like Athena, but different style (used by GNOME)
Tk:         3 Like Athena, but different style
SDL:        1 Like Xlib and SVGALib, but cross platform (end user can
              choose whether to use SVGALib, Xlib, DirectX, etc.)
DirectDraw: 1 Like SVGALib. Windows only.

Ease key:

1: You draw lines. You draw your own everything.
2: Widgets, etc... (Much easier than 1 for GUI apps)
3: Callbacks (Much easier than 2 for GUI apps)

Note that the easiness is backwards for graphics-intensive GUI-not apps
like many games.

Only DirectDraw, SDL, and Xlib support hardware accelerated 3D.

You have to choose one before we can help you use it.

(Note: if you wanted to know how to draw pictures into FILES, that is a
completely different kettle of fish (so to spewrite), and you'll
need to ask specifically.)

(Note: There are probably HUNDREDS of graphics libs for C. I only
mentioned the more popular ones (read: the ones I've personally used)).

(Note: The debian-user mailing list policy is you don't send HTML mail.
You should turn it off (atleast for d-u)).

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER