Re: Working backup solution?

hi ya

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 09:33:53AM +0200, Didde Brockman wrote:

> I'm trying to find a decent backup solution for our 5 Debian systems ?
> all on Dell hardhardware. Been looking at the Dell PowerVault 122 as it
> seems to fit our needs quite good in terms of capacity (640Gb max).

that capcity is ez ...
	get two or three 300GB disks ..

if budget was tight .. put those backup disks into 3 different PCs
	- on the 1st, 4th, 7th, 10th, you backup to backup-server1
	- on the 2nd, 5th, 8th, 11th, you backyp to backup-server2
	- on the 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, you backup to backup-server3

	- all done in cron

- you never overwrite yesterdays backup  .. or last week or last months
  backup ... ( depends on how accurately you can detect an intruder
  or an expired/obsolete file somebody might want from long ago )

- backups is trivial and accurate when you push data to the backup boxes
	tons of free backup scripts:
	http://linux-backup.net/App

c ya
alvin

#
# each pc/server/ws runs the "3-line script" and spread your backup
# across different PCs
#

root# crontab -e
	xxx-days  mickey-mouse-backup.pl  backup1 -4
	yyy-days  mickey-mouse-backup.pl  backup2 -4
	zzz-days  mickey-mouse-backup.pl  backup3 -4

micky-mouse-backup.pl  backupServer incremental-or-full
---------------------
#
# you always manually mount the remote backup disk ..
#
mount $1:/opt/Backup /mnt/Backup

EXCLUDE="/tmp|/.netscape/*/Cache" ....

TGZ="/mnt/Backup/$HOST/$Year.$Date.tgz"

#
# do incremental or full backup
#
#	- user changes should only be in /home
#	- other system changes are already backed up on the net
#
find /etc /home  -mtime $2 \( -type f -o -type l \) -printf | \
	grep -iv '$EXCLUDES' | \
	tar zcvf $TGZ -T -
	#
	# gazillion ways to skin the cat ( to get the list of files )
	#

chmod 400 $TGZ

#
# encrypt the backup file if you are paranoid about company salary info
#

umount /mnt/Backup
#
# end