Re: automating sa-learn via cyrus mailbox?

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 12:01:44PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> Will Trillich wrote:
> >we're running cyrus21 and exim4 for email services, and would
> >like to automate the "sa-learn" feature system-wide.
> >
> >so why not create a "user.spam" cyrus mailbox, BOUNCE any spams
> >there and have cron do some sort of automated "sa-learn --spam"
> >on the results, and then delete them?
> >
> >anybody doing anything like this? got code i could sniff before
> >i work up my own wheel from scratch?

> I've thought about it, but not done any active investigation. Problems
> I see: How much does SA depend on headers for identiying spam in learn
> mode? It uses them in diagnosing spam.

not forward, bounce. of course, mutt seems like the only client
that has that feature, and my gui-happy clientele will never
use anything so arcane (or so powerful).

> How many email clients forward headers? None I currently use do AFAIK.
>
> I wouldn't want SA learning wrong facts.
>
> OTOH any email to my spambait addresses goes into SA unseen by human eye.
>
> Something I've not checked and which might work is asking users to move
> verified spam into a specific folder. Depending on needs and trust, the
> folder could be per user, per group (as in all of accounts) or site-wide.

> >====
> >
> >also -- sa-learn appears to work based on the shell user's home
> >~/.spamassassin/* files, and our cyrus setup is non-shell-user
> >heaven. do we have to "su - $spamassassin_user" before
> >"sa-learn" will work the way we want? haven't been able to track
> >it down in black-and-white yet...
>
> I think newer SA can talk to an SQL server for per-user stuff.

yep. but spam is basically spam no matter who you are, and we're going
to try system-wide configs (we may migrate to user configs later, of
course).

how to get sa-learn to use /path/to/bayes_* instead of ~/.spam*/bayes_*?