Is this a DNS issue?

Hello,

The SMTP email server on my Debian Woody machine responds to:

telnet mymachine.mydomain.com 25    from the LAN
telnet mymachine 25    from the LAN
telnet IP_address 25    from the LAN

On the server (mymachine) itself, this is what happens:

telnet mymachine.mydomain.com 25    does not respond
telnet mymachine 25    does not respond
telnet mymachine_IP_address 25    does not respond
telnet localhost 25        it DOES respond
telnet 127.0.0.1 25       it DOES respond

The /etc/hosts has:

127.0.0.1       localhost
Private_IP_address   mymachine.mydomain.com mymachine

The /etc/resolv.conf has:

search mydomain.com
nameserver LAN_DNS_IP_address

Could you please tell me how I can resolv this?

Thanks,

Guru