Re: Serial console installs?

Brian Nelson wrote:

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 10:08:43AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
debian@halligan.org wrote:

I'm trying to install Sarge over the net (booting netinstall via pxe).
I can only connect to it via serial console.. When it boots up into
serial console, it seems to try sending VGA data to the serial port.

Is there a way to get around this?
Best to direct Qs about d-i to the boot-floppies list where all the d-i folk hang out. They will want to know about this.

What one would that be?  debian-boot?  That list is intended for
development purposes, and not general user support.  Support questions
should be kept on debian-user.

If you did your homework you'd understand that right now they want reports from everyone who uses it. They even provide a template report for folk to complete.

Seems to me right now that if d-i gives anyone problems of any kind, the d-i team needs to know: there will never be a better time for fixing it than right now.

In this particlar case, it's not difficult to detect that the console's a serial port, and trying to use it as a VGA display is plain wrong. Tell 'em so they can fix it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait