Re: Linux help system (Was: -=> Re: I hate it when that happens...)

On Fri, Aug 13 at 05:05AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> Documentation is a much-ignored standard.
>
> Some is in man format:
> man man

> THe GNU project likes info
> info info

> Some projects prefer HTML:
> links /usr/share/doc/postgresql-doc/html/index.html

> Others think postscript is cool
> gv /usr/lib/tk8.4/prolog.ps

> or even pdf
> xpdf /usr/share/cups/doc-root/cmp.pdf

> and there's aplways plain old documents:
> perldoc /usr/share/doc/openssl/doc/crypto/ASN1_OBJECT_new.pod

> or even text, sometimes compressed:
> zless /usr/share/doc/debian/FAQ/debian-faq.en.txt.gz

> sometimes not:
> /usr/share/doc/dillo/Cookies.txt
>
> I'm shore there are more
>
> Clear?

unfortunately. eesh. what an awful state of affairs.

while innovation is good, standards do help us get along (and
bring newbies up to speed faster). in some ways i wish we could
pick one and ditch the rest.

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux boss 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #67 from Colin Watson <cjwatson@flatline.org.uk>
:
Did you know MANPAGES ARE IN SEVERAL SECTIONS?  For example,
user commands are in section 2 of the manual, and system
administration items are in section 8; to request a particular
section via "man" include it before the item:
	man 7 regex
(otherwise you'll probably see regex from section 3 instead.)
To see ALL pages with a particular name, try
	man -a regex
every matching manpage (from whichever section) will be
presented, one-by-one.