Re: can't retrieve large numbers of email

On Friday 13 August 2004 23:49, Ric Otte wrote:
> If I allow a large number of emails to build up at my email provider, I
> have problems downloading them.  When I run fetchmail, I can download
> 100-200 of them, but then I get a message such as the following:
>
> reading message ric@otte.ucsc.edu:195 of 399 (10332 octets)  flushed
> reading message ric@otte.ucsc.edu:196 of 399 (5552 octets) fetchmail: SMTP
> connect to localhost failed fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while
> fetching from otte.ucsc.edu fetchmail: Query status=10 (SMTP)

I had a similar problem

It turns out that my ISP had some spam messages with a single "." on a line by
itself.  Instead of escaping these, it was transmitting then to me - which
was causing fetchmail to think it had got to end of message, was therefore
using a command to get the next one.  The confused the ISP pop3 server and it
closed the connection, this not acting on the delete commands it already had.
Next time around it retrieved all the messages again.

To get around it, I had to manually telnet into my ISPs pop3 server and issue
the delete command manually for that message.

In about 1400 spam messages on the server 2 had this problem.

I also changed fetchmail to retrieve mail from my isp using IMAP.  The delete
commands are issued and acting upon every message so I am hoping I don't get
the large backlog of messages that resulted from the last occurance.

(This is the backup route to my mail, so I had not noticed it had happened
because I had stopped receiving mail - but because, all of a sudden I
realised I was seeing the same messages over and over again.  By the time I
had discovered it, there was 1400 messages stuck at my isp).

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk