Re: Bridge Freeze

Osamu Aoki wrote:

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 07:10:00AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
Osamu Aoki wrote:
On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 07:29:47PM -0300, Leonardo Marques wrote:
Hello,
	I trying to set up a bridge, to work like a hub or switch, for
	my internal network.

	But when im trying initialise, i dont know why, its freezes.

	I tryed to initialise it with:

	/etc/init.d/networking restart
	ifup -a
In general, I would do ifdown eth0
     ifdown eth1
before editting e/n/interfaces first.
That's pretty difficult if the network interface is between the administrator and the hard drive:-)

So far, apart from firewall rules some years go, I've managed to avoid cutting myself off, but I'm aware of the risk.

Hahaha...  there are few work arounds.  I can think of 2 methods now.

1. use reboot with "shutdown -r now" after editing e/n/interfaces and
  hope it will come back alive.  (Brute force)

remind me to keep you away from my networks:-)

2. Run script to do above ifdown and ifup with 2 files
    e/n/interfaces-old
    e/n/interfaces
  You can specify -i option to use each.
To protect script from broken terminal link, run this script in "screen" program. If you loose connection, simply reconnect and
  reactivate screen session.  No reboot needed with this.

I was thinking of the case when the other box is across town.

A while ago I had to tweak a DSL modem like this. I thought about if _very carefully_ and practiced with one a bit nearer.

One doesn't like to stuff the boss's internet connextion, even if he knows you're doing things to it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait