Re: [Rant] The Endless Search for a Mail Client That Doesn't Suck

Brian Nelson wrote:

[...]

>>> Furthermore, I ran into problems with offline synchronization.
>>
>> if you are using imap, there is zero syncrhonization problems,
>> as your email and folders are only on the imap server
>
> Hmm?  I don't use OfflineIMAP for shits and giggles, ya know.  [...]

I think I've been where you are right now. I wanted Gnus flexibility but
because nnmbox was a royal PITA, and nnmaildir didn't make it a lot
better, I envied mutt's usual performance.

So I decided to `outsource' maildir access to a dedicated
compiled-chunk-of-C-code daemon: I have courier serving IMAP to Gnus,
and offlineimap syncing the mail server with the *maildir folders*, not
the local server.

Now Gnus (via nnimap) scans, enters and exits folders blazingly fast
(unlike nnmaildir), doesn't fill up my half-gigabyte memory (as nnmbox
did), and doesn't interfere with offlineimap; instead, courier
does. Well, does not :-) Being a maildir directory, those two coexist
nicely.

Moving messages between folders can't be faster than it is now (unlike
with nnmbox), but there is a shortcoming deleting messages; somehow it
takes courier a few seconds (20 or so) to delete any number of messages
from a nnimap folder. `top' shows courier being busy during that while,
so may be there's some courier config's tweaking in order. Gnus just
wait, and if something goes wrong, I can convince it to stop waiting
with C-g (unlike before, when it seemed to be doing all the hard work
with its "utterly efficient" elisp file handling routines, and listening
to noone meanwhile ;-)

Well, I hope you save me the kicking. My gonads need some rest.

--
Cristian Gutierrez			http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~crgutier
crgutier[@]dcc.uchile.cl                        Jabber:crgutier@jabber.org

"Artificial Intelligence: the art of making computers that behave like
the ones in movies." -- Bill Bulko