raid Re: Whats with this new Debian installer?

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Paul Gear wrote:

> Joey Hess wrote:
..
> >  - software RAID support
>
> But not on /boot or /.  I find this just unfathomable.  What do i do if
> the disk containing / dies?

if raid is configured properly ... it will still boot ...

if /  is on /dev/hda and /dev/hdc  ... and one of the disk dies
	- yow will still be able to boot

if / is on /dev/hda and /dev/hdc and /dev/hde ... and 2 of the disks dies,
	- you will still be able to boot

if you have 4 disks ... you will always be able to boot 99.99% of the time
without touching the keyboard
	/dev/md0 == /dev/hda + /dev/hdd in raid1 mirror
	/dev/md1 == /dev/hdb + /dev/hdc in raid1 mirror

	/dev/md0 and /dev/md1 is stripped ( raid0 ) for faster reading
	( but not all systems support it properly - bios and raid config
	problem )

data ( /home ) should always be raid5 across those 4 disks
	or raid1 .. mirror ... or whatever you want

==
== the whole point of raid ... it will boot no matter what ... if you
== configured it properly...
==	we'll exclude silly things like a power supply blowing up
==	or cpu temp rising and rising and rising and crashing randomly
==	due to poor fans and air circulation preventing raid from doing
==	its job
==

c ya
alvin