Re: udev, atapi cdrw drives and cdrecord

> I am running a 2.6 kernel (2.6.7-k7-1) which is supposed to automatically
> include ide-scsi without the need to load a module.
>
> I have set up udev to create /dev/hdc and also a symlink /dev/cdrw to point
> to it.
>
> I am trying to use cdrecord to make a cd.  But it seemingly hangs
> (forever). It outputs the information below and then suspends (and ctrl C
> does not kill it).
>
> alan@kanger debcd $ cdrecord -eject speed=12 dev=/dev/cdrw
> sarge-i386-netinst.iso
> cdrecord: No write mode specified.
> cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
> cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent
> defaults.
> cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a34 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
> Schilling
> NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
> cdrecord and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original
> version. Please send bug reports and support requests to
> <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
>       The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
> version.
>
> scsidev: '/dev/cdrw'
> devname: '/dev/cdrw'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.

The new 2.6 kernels do not "include ide-scsi", they don't use scsi at all
unless it is a true scsi device. The 2.6 kernels support ide cdrw drives
natively without the need of the scsi hack.  You should be treating the
drives as ide drives not scsi. I generally use a front end (k3b) for cdrecord
which set the parameters automatically but by running "cdrecord dev=help" and
reading the man pages you should be able to use the atapi interface.

Hope this helps
RJP