custom kernel breaks font

Hi,
I build a new kernel "the Debian way" using the same source as my former
custom kernel (2.6.6). My former kernel worked fine except for a problem
with tun/tap. My new kernel solves this problem, but I took some more stuff
out and used more modules.

Now the problem:
everything works except for Konsole and Gnome Terminal. Due to some strange
reason they can't display any character. So if I want a command line I'm
obliged to switch to another tty -> quite bothering really.

Using the old kernel again solves this problem so I'm certain the problem
lies with the kernel. Is there anyone who knows which module could be
responsible for this?

I already had to put i8042 in /etc/modules to be able to use my mouse and
keyboard so it's probably also a module that doesn't get loaded
automagically.

Any help would really make my vacation :).

Regards,
Bram

Note:
I've tried to change /etc/fonts/local.conf, too bad it didn't work.