Re: Debian, Xwindows, USB Mouse and GeForce 4

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 06:53, Richard Cavell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an unremarkable Pentium 4-class machine that I wish to operate as
> a webserver.  I have installed Debian (v 3.0 r2 i386, the latest
> "Woody") from CD.  I have a GeForce4 Ti 4200 and a Logitech Dual Optical
> mouse plugged into my USB port.
>
> When I type 'startx' I get 'Fatal server error'.  The error messages are
> too numerous to fit onto one screen but they are basically variations on
> the theme of 'no compatible video card found'
>
> I have used dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 to declare my video card to
> be 'nv', 'vesa' or 'vga'.  VGA seems to get me closer than ever before,
> but startx still results in 'Fatal server error'.
>
> I have downloaded the Linux drivers from the NVidia website (a script
> called nvidia-linux-x86...).  When I run it, it complains that
>
> 'No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel'.  It
> tries to, but can't find one from nVidia's ftp site.  It therefore asks
> me to ensure my kernel's source is on my computer so that it can compile
> its own.  (There is currently no kernel source on my computer).
>
> So now I guess I need to put my kernel source on my computer.  How do I
> do this?  apt-get install kernel-source results in a selection, none of
> which I think are relevant to my kerenel.
>
> What do I have to tell the dpkg configuration screens to make X windows
> recognize my USB mouse?  At the moment it says 'Cannot open device
> /dev/psaux' (or whatever else I say my mouse is).

regarding your video card: this can be "easily" fixed if you want to
compile your own kernel.

the two most important packages are:
nvidia-kernel-source
kernel-source-<some version> (perhaps 2.6.7)

the best way to compile this is probably using the debian kernel-package
method. there is a good howto on newbiedoc.sourceforge.net on compiling
your own kernel with kernel-package, check it out.

there is more that could be said right now, but decide if compiling your
own kernel is the method you want to go with. if you have more
questions, we can help.

-matt