Re: how to manage services ?

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:02:07AM +0500, debi@niit.edu.pk wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am new to debina. I have certain services running like lpd rpc etc.
>In RedHat there is a command chkconfig with which i can start/ top
>services for certain run levels or completely stop it from running.
>
>Can someone suggest how to do it in debian.

I'd guess what you are looking for is '/usr/sbin/update-rc.d'. Of course
it probably isn't as flashy as RedHat's tool. The following might be of
use as well (in case you don't know of them yet):

 runlevel - shows previous and current runlevel
 /etc/init.d/* - all the init scripts for different services
 /etc/rc?.d - links into /etc/init.d/, one dir for each runlevel

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

(Whatever is said in latin sounds profound.)