RE: How Do I Get the Java Plugin To Work with Firefox and Mozilla ?

It took me about 5 minutes to get java working.  Go to the Sun website,
click on download J2SE JRE and download the self-executing binary for linux.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

Create new directory under /usr called java.  Copy the .bin file to
/usr/java and execute it.  (chmod +x [filename]) then (./[filename])

After agreeing to the license, it will unpack its files.  In a terminal, go
to your firefox/plugins directory and remove or rename any file called
libjavaplugin_oji.so and then type: ln -s
/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_05/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

That's it.  Start up firefox and check about:plugins.  It should show the
java.  Worked for me anyway.