Re: Installing a new hard drive

I'd suggest looking at dmesg for lines like the following:

hda: Maxtor 6E040L0, ATA DISK drive
hdd: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI, ATAPI FLOPPY drive

or whatever your hardware is.  If it's not there, Linux hasn't recognised it.

If it is there, check that it actually is hdc, it could have been
given a different device node.

When you say you tried running an installation disk, could you give
more details?  Linux installation?  Distro?  Kernel version?  What
device did it recognise it as?