Re: exim? imap?

In article <[🔎] 20040802151443.GB1579@pooq.com>,
Hendrik Boom  <hendrik@pooq.com> wrote:
>I'm running a debian woody server, using exim (I believe -- actually,
>I have whatever Debian installs as default, which I believe is
>exim), and I have peen persuaded that I should change over to imap.

You don't change over to imap from exim - you simply add an imap
server, which gives imap access to the existing mailboxes.

>I'm trying to get some kind of orientation on the whole process.
>Do I have to convet to maildir format?

Depends on what IMAP server you choose.

>What happend to existing messages in mbox format?

If you choose an IMAP server that supports mbox, well, nothing ..

>What software do I need to get?  Which do you recommend?

Dovecot. It's not in woody, but there's a apt-gettable woody version
at http://backports.org/

>My clients will be on several other machines (and will no longer have
>to ssh to the server to read mail -- that's the whole point).
>What client software should they have on Linux?

Mozilla or mozilla-thunderbird, or Evolution, or Balsa.

>on Windows?

Outlook Express does IMAP. You can also install mozilla (-thunderbird).

>on computers
>likely to be found in public libraries run by idiots?

Webmail. For example, install apache + openwebmail. There's a
debian package for woody at http://www.apt-get.org/ . There's
lot of choice though - search for "webmail" at freshmeat.net
to get an idea. "Inside Systems Mail" looks very nice.

Mike.
--
The question is, what is a "manamanap".
The question is, who cares ?