Re: FS-mounting as user woes

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 18:20:01 +0800, John Summerfield writes:
<...>
>>But on my lapdog, the same doesn't work:
>>    /dev/sda1 /mnt/stick vfat defaults,user,noauto 0 0
>> I can mount it as user, but the directory afterwards belongs to root,
>> which isn't exactly helpful for reading the contents as user:
>>    :) waldner@beren->/mnt $ ls -l | grep stick
>>    drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root         1024 Mar 29 12:39 stick
>>    :) waldner@beren->/mnt $ mount /mnt/stick/
>>    :) waldner@beren->/mnt $ ls -l | grep stick
>>    drwxr--r--    4 root     root        16384 Jan  1  1970 stick
>>
>>Any idea what could be the problem here (other than the one between
>> keyboard and chair)? Both boxen run well-intermixed testing/unstable,
>> nearly the same kernel (home: 2.4.26-1-k7, lapdog: 2.4.26-1-686) and
>> the same mount (2.12-7).

>man mount
>man fstab
>
>With FAT there's an option to specify who owns the files, and what
>{U,G}IDs  apply.

Yeah, from mount(8):
       Mount options for fat
       <...>
       uid=value and gid=value
              Set the owner and group of all files. (Default: the uid and  gid
              of the current process.)

So, when I run mount as user, it _should_ be OK (but isn't!).

Of course I can specify my own UID/GID in fstab, but what of other
 users on the box? And work-a-kludging via a shared group doesn't seem
 to address the underlying problem, only the symptom.

cheers,
&rw
--
/ Ing. Robert Waldner | Security Engineer |  CoreTec IT-Security  \
\   <rw@coretec.at>   | T +43 1 503 72 73 | F +43 1 503 72 73 x99 /