Re: can a SSH server initiate a connection?

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 08:08:16PM +0100, rich wrote:
} I have a (woody) box running sshd sitting behind a firewall. From
} outside the firewall, I want to be able to ssh in.
}
} I can see that I could get around the firewall if the connection was
} initiated from within the firewall, ie. if somehow the person could
} give a command on the server which somehow connects to the would-be
} client, and then allows the client to take over as a normal ssh
} session.
}
} any clues? ideas?

Normally, one simply allows connections through the firewall on port 22
to the ssh server. Do you have some good reason not to do that?

Another possibility, if you insist on doing things the hard way, is to
make your firewall respond to port knocking by allowing connections only
briefly. Google for more information on port knocking. This assumes that
you have a Linux box as a firewall.

Either way, the ssh server is largely oblivious to how the client is
getting to it.

} thanks,
} Rich.
--Greg