Re: Debian for the first time, a couple of problems

Kent West wrote at Monday 26 July 2004 17:20:

>> First strange thing is that during boot time there are lots
>> of FATAL messages about modules cannot be loaded, because
>> "operation not permitted".
>>
> This seems really odd.

Yes, indeed ;-)

> My guess is that those FATAL error messages you're getting is causing a
> big part of your grief. I'd spend my effort on tracking those down.

I'm just about to build an own 2.6.7 kernel, if I'm not able to boot with this
own kernel without getting these strange errors then I have to think again.
Unfortunately so far I've forgotten to to build ATA support directly into the
kernel (the default 2.6 config seems to build every more or less basic thing as
a module) and thus I was not able to boot with it yesterday. On the other hand
I have the strong feeling that compiling a 2.6 kernel takes a LOT more time
than a late 2.4 one.. but OK, I'll see.

>>Whenever I use a program which draws an user interface by
>>ascii line characters (e.g. aptitude) instead of all the
>>border lines this strange 'oe' character is printed.

> I'm suspecting the framebuffer here, but I'm not sure. Check
> /etc/lilo.conf (assuming lilo and not grub, etc) to see what your video
> settings are; maybe set it to "vga=ask" and rerun lilo and then reboot
> and try different settings.

Since grub comes automatically as the boot manager with Sarge I'm on this one
now and actually quite happy with it. It's convenient not needing to reinstall
the boot loader after each kernel modification.
Thanks for the framebuffer hint, usually I never activate it in my own kernels,
so I'm curious if the problem might be gone once my own kernel is running.

> It sounds like your installation had some serious issues and did not
> complete properly. I'm not sure why this would be the case (a bad
> snapshot of the installer? esoteric hardware? buggy RAM?).

Great news. ;-)
An old fashioned BX board and a G550 Matrox card are not considered to be
esoteric, I guess.  Maybe I'm going to update my installation DVD and try the
installation once again, probably with a trusted (at least by me) 2.4 kernel
then.

> I've never installed from a DVD; if it were me, I'd use the 100MB
> net-installer image, and then pull the rest down from the net, but
> you've got an ISDN network, and I don't even know what that means, so I
> can't address it.

I'll tell you, what that means: most important it means a bandwidth of 128kBit/s
max.;-) thus pulling anything bigger than a hand full of MBytes from the net
really is out of question. Furthermore it means that you have to twiddle on a
completely new interface in the 2.6 kernel with many important drivers only
available via CVS... :-(

Grischa