Re: modules not found after kernel recompile

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 09:10:27PM +0200, blackwings@inbox.com wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:42:37 -0600, "CW Harris"
> <charris@rtcmarketing.com> said:
[...]
> > Is this a typo? or are you using kernel 2.6.7 with an append-to-version
> > of 1?  I would recommend you use "-" (hyphen) before numeric
> > append-to-version so the kernel version does not look wrong (i.e. there
> > is no kernel 2.6.71).
>
> That would be correct. I put EXTRAVERSION=1 in the top-level Makefile.
> So that 2.6.7 becomes 2.6.71. But, as you observed, it makes no
> difference in this matter.

Ah yes, I realized afterwards I was assuming you used the make-kpkg
command from the kernel-package debian package (nice way to create a
.deb of the kernel with all modules).

> > What are the first errors you get and the text above them?
>
> I don't get any errors, aside from the ones mentioned about
> 'FATAL: module <something> not found'. Not anymore, since I
> renamed /etc/modules to /etc/modules.old and that one's empty.

So it sounds like you had an old /etc/modules with modules corresponding
to a different kernel and that was causing the error messages.

> If I probe for nonexisting modules, the old FATAL msg. appears.
> Nothing strange about that, though.
>
> UPDATE:
> Tried running 'modprobe <module name>', where 'module name' is one
> of the module names in /lib/modules/2.6.71. Seems to work, but is this
> a permanent solution? A reboot will of course tell me if it's not...

No, modules loaded manually will not be loaded upon reboot. You can use
/etc/modules to have them loaded at boot time.

AFAIK /etc/modules is still a reasonable place to add modules you want
that are not automatically loaded, although a lot of new capability is
in the works in the 2.6 kernel and the udev project, which may make
other methods preferred.

Also, there may be cases where you simply need to add an appropriate
"alias" line in /etc/modprobe.d/aliases to get a module to automatically
load when needed.

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.