Re: question about patching my kernel

Paul Akkermans wrote:

Hi erveryone,

I have read al suggestions and advice on how to install my kernel (thanks a
lot). But the thing is, that I have a school assignment in evaluating a
linux kernel. I must admit that I am new to linux and so I thought that when
I installed the newest kernel I was up to date enough for my assignment. But
is it also possible to use the kernel that I have now or are there a lot of

It's hard to say, without knowing the scope of the assignment. In any event, reading and comprehending in fine detail the workings of the kernel is a major undertaking.

changes? And how can I look into the source code of this kernel I have now?
Or is this not possible?

Installing the source code matching the kernel you're using is trivial.

Installing the source for a 2.4 or even a 2.6 kernel is also fairly easy (depending on part just what the dependancies are, and whether they are actually correct for your use).

If you really want a 2.6 kernel, and I don't recommend it unless your assignment actually requires it, and you have the bandwidth, the simplest course is probably to do a dist-upgrade to Sarge and then explicitly install a 2.6.6 kernel.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait