Re: postscript-enabled mozilla package anyone?

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004, Michael B Allen wrote:
> *default-printer-resolution: 600

This mean, of course, that we need to get xprt-xprintorg to *directly*
inteface to CUPS properly, to get that information (and other supported
spooling systems that can provide such info).  And that requires the ability
to process, and present PPD options (since any non-lame printer will have a
PPD that allows one to change the device DPI).  Which won't happen, I guess.

So we are back to the grey ages of printing again, where we end up with
a ton of printers one for each config we might want... and xprint can't even
use CUPS printer instances to help on that area.

Drat.

> [1] the problem might be that the printing system interface (lpq,
> lpadmin) is not sophisticated enough to communicate information like
> DPI capability.

CUPS can do that, but to do it properly you need to also access the PPD, and
process it.  Since xprint is not directly tied to the running xserver or
environment, I can't see how this could be done in a non-broken way, unless
the xprint interface has been designed for this kind of thing already.

  Henrique Holschuh