Unable to handle kernel paging request...

Hi all,

I am having problems with two 2.6 kernel modules, 3c59x and emu10k. Both of them fail with the same error: "Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address <hex>", along with a dump of some extra info like a Call Trace, finally ending in a Segmentation fault (I'm assuming it's modprobe or insmod that's getting the segfault). I'm running debian unstable.

In both cases, lsmod lists the module as loaded and in use afterwards, but it is obviously nonfunctional.

I could probably find a way to get these specific outputs into an email, but it would involve much booting into different operating systems, and I don't think the specific details of the failure matter much.

This setup works just fine with a 2.4 kernel, and in fact a Knoppix Live CD is able to start up and make everything work just dandily. Debian's 2.4 kernel also worked just fine last time I tried it, but since I've moved over to udev and all, I've removed all of the 2.4 kernels from my box, and without a network card I can't exactly readd them to test them.

Strangely, the system continues to function after it fails to load the 3c59x driver, but it stops (meaning I have to do a hard reset) after failing to load the emu10k driver. I think the stop is actually the result of a timeout or something, such as trying to load the ALSA mixer settings (which has been a consistent source of problems for me), but I can't tell, for somewhat obvious reasons. I've pulled the card until I can at least get ethernet working.

I've had these problems on both 2.6.5 and 2.6.7, so I don't think it's the specific kernel. As I mentioned, this hardware works fine on 2.4 kernels, so I don't think it's the hardware. It appears to be something systemic, but I don't know what. Yes, I'm running with the most recent module-init-tools (I just did an apt-get dist-upgrade while chrooted on a Knoppix Live CD to verify that). I'm also running udev with sysfs. Everything else seems to be working fine (although I get an apparently spurious error about missing aic79xx -- my scsi stuff still works, so I'm just ignoring this, since aic7xxx loads fine and seems to work).

Anyone have any ideas? My box is completely useless without ethernet, and it feels pretty useless without audio.

--
One of the Ten Commandments for Technicians
        (7) Work thou not on energized equipment, for if thou dost, thy