Re: Failed X11, failed dexconf, on new install, Debian 3r1

--- Jon Branch <branch@hknet.com> wrote: > Dear people at Debian

> Attached please find XFree86.0.log as per the request on my newly
> installed Debian 3.0r1 system.

Sending volumes of logs such as that, is best left on a webserver.

> I tried sending this to submit@bugs.debian.org but it was knocked back;

That e-mail address is for bugs in packages for Unstable, *not* stable.
The error you're suffering from "no screens found", is an error in the way
you have configured X11.

What you need to do is the following (as root user):

dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xfree86

and when the question about FrameBuffers arrives answer "NO" to it. Then
just keep going until you have answered the remaining questions, and
startx.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net