tips on using "screen"?

On Thu, Jul 01 at 02:34PM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> I've started using screen recently.  It's way cool.

same here. kahuna powerful for us command-line folks.

> The best part about screen is that you can set it up such that
> each xterm is just a new window showing the existing list of
> shells.  This means that if I decide I would like to see
> shells 3 and 4 concurrently, then I just open two xterms
> showing those two shells.  When I don't need to see the shells
> anymore, I close the xterms, but the shells are still there.

we'd love to hear more about your setup. ~/.bashrc aliases or
settings, any keyboard macros, ~/.screenrc coolness... we're not
picky.

inquiring minds want to know. :)

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux boss 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #56 from Vineet Kumar <debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net>
:
Troubled by DOS-FORMAT OR MAC-FORMAT TEXT FILES? Here's another
way to deal with those troublesome ^M characters: a simple
	tr -d '\015'  < dos.file  > reg.file
should do the trick.  While we're on the subject, a Mac file
can be converted with
	tr '\015' '\012'  < mac.file  > reg.file
You can do all your CR/LF translations with tr as long as you
can remember that macs use CRs, *nices use LFs, and DOS uses
CR+LF.