Re: Creating MP3 for portable players

> I'm told that the information squeezed out by ogg is not audible to humans.
> And that the information squeezed out by mp3 compression is different, and
> not audible to humans.
> But when you ogg an mp3, you get both squeezed out, and the result *is*
> audible.
>
> But I haven't tried it out, and I'm part deaf so my personal experience
> wouldn't mean much anyway.

This is true. The fact is that both formats are lossy to a computer, but
not a priori audibly lossy to humans, and more: the encoders need not be
coherent.  I  mean,  It would not be strange if you take and mp3-encoded
sound, decode it, and re-encode it to mp3 *again*, and it sounded worse.

I've  been  told  that  this worsening of the signal happens to ac3 (MD)
encoding just after a lot of re-encodings... Like 30!...

Of  course  if  you use the same encoder, this is less likely to happen.
Different mp3 encoders may have this effect strongly... mp3 to ogg would
be even worse, and then you go.

But I doubt that anyone would hear the effects on a bad amplifier system
like  the  ones  from pocket MP3-player. And more: It wold not matter if
you're  deconding  ogg  and  recoding  to  mp3  when you're lowering the
bitrate anyway, so you can fit more musics in you player.

Anyway,  test  it  and  be  happy.  I'm  just showing off because I'm an
electrical engineer :)

And  at  last:  personal experience is everything that really matters on
this subject!...

--
Nicolau Werneck <nwerneck@cefala.org>         9F99 25AB E47E 8724 2F71
http://cefala.org/~nwerneck                   EA40 DC23 42CE 6B76 B07F