Re: kerenls: hand-rolled v. stock

On 2004-06-23, Nori Heikkinen penned:

> in general, is there much of an advantage to hand-rolling over
> grabbing a stock kernel?  i feel like everything i probably want to
> insert as a module (soundcore; usb; whatever) should be available in a
> stock kernel.

I roll my own because, um ... because ...

Well, I do it because I've been doing it for years, so it's not
intimidating to me.  I do it because I think it's interesting to see all
of the options and read up on the ones that pique my curiosity.  I do it
because it offends my sensibilities to keep around tons of modules that
I'll never, ever, use.  I do it because I feel like it keeps me more in
touch with what my computer's doing.  I do it because I love screwing it
up and seeing LI LI LI LI scroll across my screen *grin*

Is there a tangible advantage?  Well, it's possible that a module
sitting around unused might have a vulnerability ... but if your cracker
is already to the point where they can load modules, you're probably
hosed, anyway.

Unless you're working with very tight resources, I'm not aware of a real
advantage.  Anyone?

I would have thought everything you need should be in the stock kernel,
too, but I don't use them, so I don't know.

--
monique