Re: Re: Help! Printing is mostly non-working! (SOLVED!)

Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 02:53:50PM -0400, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> I hope that someone can help me with this problem. About two weeks ago,> printing stopped working in Firefox, Thunderbird, Opera, OpenOffice, and> almost every other program that I use.
>> <SNIP>

What version of cups, cupsys-client are you using?
I don't know if this is of any use, but http://bugs.debian.org/163663
sounds similar (problem with printing from stdin), although it was
reportedly working with a later version of cupsys-client (that I think
you would be using in Sarge).

> <SNIP>

Does this problem exist with other users (e.g. root)?
Maybe try with a different shell?
Check that /usr/bin/{lp,lpr} are not changed from the cupsys-client,bsd
packages?

Well, printing is working again. As near as I can tell, the problem was not with CUPS, bash, or the bug listed above. I went to do an 'apt-get update' and received an error saying that the device was full. I ran df, and, sure enough, /var was at 100% usage. I had filled up /var/cache/apt/archives with a lot of old debs. After clearing out about 300MB of old files I was able to do my update and upgrade. At the same time, printing started to work. Any program that wanted to send data to /var/spool/ was going to have trouble. I just wish that the error messages that I got when trying to print (when I got an error message) would have been as clear about the problem as apt-get was. Telling me that stdin was empty, when the real problem was that there was no room for the spool file, just sent me looking for answers in all the wrong places.

BTW: What are all of the files in /var/spool/cups of the form c#####. I have everything from c00001 through c00186. The content of c00001 is:

$ sudo cat /var/spool/cups/c00001
Gattributes-charset
iso-8859-1Httributes-natural-languageenE
                                        printer-uri*ipp://localhost:631/printers/hpdeskjet5550Bjob-originating-user-namemnsjob-namtest.txtIdocument-format
text/plainB
job-sheetsnoneBnone!
job-priority2Bjob-originating-host-name localhost!job-id# job-state !?job-media-sheets-completedEjob-printer-uri(http://xander:631/printers/hpdeskjet5550job-namtest.txt!
                                             job-k-octets!time-at-creation@De!time-at-processing@De!time-at-completed@DiDjob-hold-untilno-hold

Can I delete these files, or are they doing something necessary? It looks like it is just a log file of some sort, but I am not familiar enough with CUPS to know for sure.
--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro@sunlitsurf.com