Re: details pls: Dynamic MMap ran out of room

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:21:30 -0400
Mike M <linux-support@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Following up this:
>
> I was wondering what this magic is doing:
>
> # echo 'APT::Cache-Limit "25165824";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf
>
> which works for me, BTW. I have 512MB RAM.
>
> I loaded Woody and was updating as part of the process of
> upgrading to testing then to unstable.
>
> How'd you get the number?

. . .which is 24MB.  I'm not sure there is any special reason.
I have half that value in mine.  It simply has to be "large
enough."

> Where is the problem? Testing? It seems so because removing
> testing and unstable references from the sources.list
> avoids the problem. Opening up only testing finds the problem.

The problem isn't testing or unstable.  The problem is simply
having lots of sources and packages and versions to keep track
of.  The fewer sources/versions in your sources.list file,
the less memory apt needs to build the cache file of packages
available.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)