Help! Printing is mostly non-working!

I hope that someone can help me with this problem. About two weeks ago, printing stopped working in Firefox, Thunderbird, Opera, OpenOffice, and almost every other program that I use.

Kate (the editor) still prints, but a simple editor that I wrote, myself, does not. I can also print a file from the command line using 'lp filename', or 'lpr filename'. Commands such as 'ls | lp' do NOT work, however. This caused me to think that there might be a problem with bash and piping from one command to another, but 'ls | more' works just fine.

It is really annoying to have to print to a file, and then print the file from the command line.

BTW: I am running Sarge with the debian stock 2.4.26-1-k7 kernel and CUPS. I am using cupsys-bsd, so that lp and lpr still work as the programs were originally configured and this had been working for several months untill this new problem occured.

Since I can print with 'lpr filename' I know that the problem is not with the printer. Since CUPS (and cupsys-bsd) seems to work fine (I can print a test print from the CUPS admin page through either Opera, or Firefox even though the browsers' print functions don't work, themselves) the problem does not appear to be there, either. Also, I don't beleive that there have been any recent updates to the CUPS packages.

I am at a loss as to what else to check. If anyone has any ideas, or has had this problem themselves, I would appreciate whatever help you can provide.

Thanks,
Marc Shapiro