Strange apt-get problem

I am building the a third new mail server at the moment.  They are
similar machines with one network connection on the same segment as
the ftp-servers (archive and archive2).

I have copied /etc/apt/sources.list from one of the productions
machines (say machine 1) to the new one.  The md5sum of the file on
machine 2 is the same as the on on the  machine 1, but while it
works machine 1 it fails on 2.  I have tried the same sources.list on
another machine in the network and it works without a problem.

The file is too large to include everything but here are the first few
lines and the error message that I get on machine 2.

deb ftp://archive2.sun.ac.za/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://archive.sun.ac.za/debian/non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb ftp://archive.sun.ac.za/debian stable main contrib non-free

deb ftp://archive.sun.ac.za/debian stable-proposed-updates main contrib non-free
deb ftp://archive.sun.ac.za/debian/non-US stable-proposed-updates/non-US main contrib non-free
deb ftp://archive.sun.ac.za/mirrorsites/security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://archive.sun.ac.za/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://archive.sun.ac.za/debian/non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information... Done

... snip ...

Lots of errors like this:

W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://archive.sun.ac.za stable-proposed-updates/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.sun.ac.za_debian_dists_stable-proposed-updates_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

But:
lftpget ftp://archive.sun.ac.za/debian/dists/stable-proposed-updates/main/binary-i386/Packages

downloads "Packages" without a problem from the same machine.

Al three mail server have the same version of apt.  This sources list
was also tested on a sid machine without a problem.

Any idea what can be causing this?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Fear not, for I am with thee; be not dismayed,
      for I am thy God. I will strengthen thee and I will
      help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand
      of my righteousness."         Isaiah 41:10