Re: Possible convert to Debian

John Fleming wrote:

 With my FC2 server (Dell 600SC), I have these things going: pop and
 imap mail, Squirrelmail, Mailman, SpamAssassin, Webmin, and Apache
 with several virtual hosts.

 I've toyed with Debian and Knoppix a bit, but haven't tried to fully
 implement the above services yet and have a few questions.

 1. It sounds like Sid is actually pretty stable, I'm guessing
 especially for the basic mail and webserving things I use. Would you
 recommend I go with Sid, or with testing or stable?

It's usually recommended to have servers on Stable. The "unstable" in Sid doesn't refer to the system that runs Sid, or even the individual packages so much, but rather to the every-changing nature of the available packages. Today you might have Foo version 1.2 and tomorrow it might be version 1.25 and the next day it might be version 1.7. If you setup a box with Sid and get everything working the way you like, you can run fine for years without any problems, except if one of the packages has a bug/vulnerability. Then of course you'd want to upgrade that package, but if you upgrade Sid, you might wind up upgrading half your system, and what will that do to your perfectly tuned box? Stable has a special repository of security patches which is designed to keep Stable stable with the ability to patch; Testing and Sid do not.

So if you need 24x7 uptime on your server, Stable. If it's just something you're tinkering with and want newer packages and can live with an occasional week-long brokenness is some package or other pretty often, then Sid.

With Stable, you can also use Backports to get newer versions of software, but I've never tried that and can't recommend it one way or the other.

 2. It seems that installing from the Knoppix CD might be a bit
 easier for a newbie? I've never tried something like woody 3.0r2 on
 new technology - only on an older limited computer, and I had
 problems with NIC being recognized and others. I have installed Sid
 using the Knoppix CD on my Dell laptop after first partitioning with
 Partition Magic and have a dual boot going with Sid and that other
 OS. I have done some preliminary experimenting using apt-get to
 install Squirrelmail and Webmin, tinkering with the sources list and
 so forth, so I'm a little familiar with how that works.

Installing from Knoppix is easier generally (provided you're on x86 hardware; installing on Sparc or PowerPC, etc, of course eliminates this option). However, there are two disadvantages to this:

1) Last I tried, Knoppix wanted to install everything into one 2GB or larger partition. I like to have separate partitions for /, /usr/, /usr/local/, /var/, /home/, and /tmp. To accomplish this on a Knoppix install means lots of partitioning "magic" after the install. Nasty.

2) You wind up with a machine that is a mix of Stable, Testing, and Unstable, along with other 3rd-party repositories. Upgrading might get pretty nasty in that situation.

 3. If I start with the Knoppix CD, I really do end up with the same
 Debian Sid distro as if I started with the unstable CDs themselves?

No. See Disadvantage #2 above.

 4. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, if I use Sid and
 keep it updated, I should never have to do a complete reinstall of
 the OS as recommended for Fedora upgrades. And if I use the stable
 version, I can do an apt-get dist upgrade and upgrade to the new
 version(s) as available without a complete reinstall, right?

I believe a smooth upgrade is only guaranteed from one version of Stable to the next. However, lots of folks here upgrade Unstable everyday. Of course, lots of folks run into broken-ness everyday also. If you can't handle glitches, stick with Stable. (Most of the glitches clear up on their own (well, by the Developer's efforts, actually), but sometimes you have to actually fix the problem, although this list and/or Google and/or other resources will generally provide the Howto on the fix by the time you decide you'll have to fix it yourself. But not always.)

 5. I am interested in software RAID 1 and have 2 identical HDDs. Is
 there an option during the install from Debian CDs (didn't see it in
 the Knoppix HD install) to setup RAID? If not, any recs on the
 easiest way to get RAID 1 going after the initial installation?

Never done RAID; can't speak on it.

 Any other comments for this relative newbie that's old (>50) and not
 a sysadmin by trade? Thanks a bunch for your time! -John

If you need 24x7 reliability; Stable. (Usually for servers.)

If you can stand periods of broken-ness, and want newer software, Sid. (Usually for workstations -- still more reliable than Windows workstations.)

--
Kent