Re: handling runlevels independently with update-rc.d

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 01:16:08AM +0200, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in the course of writing a graphical runlevel editor, and I happen to
> have the following questions:
<snip>

> 2) If I remove all symlinks in all runlevels (basically "update-rc.d -f
> proftpd remove"), create a startup link ("update-rc.d proftpd start 50
> 4 ."), creating a stop link fails with the following output:
>
> # update-rc.d proftpd stop 50 4 .
>  System startup links for /etc/init.d/proftpd already exist.

Create the start/stop links at the same time. update-rc.d does not allow
changes if any links exists to allow the local admin to override
automatic package changes (see the manpage). For example, the default is
equivalent to:

          update-rc.d foobar start 20 2 3 4 5 . stop 20 0 1 6 .

HTH

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.