Re: Multiboot Query

I have a machine that is similar with Windows 98 and two Linux systems. My lilo.conf is as below:

boot = /dev/hda1
compact
lba32
prompt
timeout=50
single-key
verbose = 2

bitmap=/usr/share/lilo/contrib/sarge.bmp
bmp-colors=1,,0,2,,0
bmp-table=120p,173p,1,15,17
bmp-timer=254p,432p,1,0,0
install=/boot/boot-bmp.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
delay=20

image = /vmlinuz
  initrd=/initrd.img
  label = Linux
  alias = 1
  append = "devfs=mountramdisk_size=6000"
  read-only
  root=/dev/hda7
image = /vmlinuz.old
  initrd=/initrd.img.old
  label = OldLinux
  alias = 2
  append = "devfs=mount ramdisk_size=6000"
  read-only
  root=/dev/hda7
other = /dev/hda3
  label = Windows
  alias = 3
other = /dev/hda2
  label = Test
  alias = 4
image = /boot/memtest86+.bin
  label = Memtest
  alias = 5

I use "other" rather than "image" for my 2nd Linux system and then have separate lilo.conf on the 2nd system. The reason for this was that Debian by default sets up symlinks such as /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old pointing to the latest and previous kernels. This makes updating easy. If you try to point to the symlinks in the 2nd system you actually end up using the kernels in the main system which may not be what you want.

Tony Middleton

Kai Grossjohann wrote:
Tony Bradley <tony@pop.eurobell.co.uk> writes:

Could you please explain how to install two or more distributions
alongside one another on the same system, so that I can choose between
them using LILO.

Create a partition or two for Debian, then tell the Debian installer
to use them.

Then you'll need to configure Lilo to boot more than one partition.
I haven't used Lilo in ages, but it ought to be quite easy -- just
duplicate the normal Lilo entry and put in the right partition and
kernel filename (and initrd name, if applicable -- Debian standard
kernels use initrd I think).

Kai