Re: C Compiler

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 03:15:35PM -0500, Edwards, Thomas W. wrote:
> I am attempting to install mysql , while compiling I get an error that
> says C Compiler cannot create executables?  Does this error sound
> familiar?

I could be a permission issue. I know some systems don't allow
compiling as a regular user for security reasons so that if crackers
break in they won't be able to use the local c compiler to build a root
exploit.

Try compiling a simple hello world program as user and see if it fails
and then try as root (if you have access) and see if that works.
The following should be enough to test this:

int main()
{
	return 0;
}

save as test.c and run gcc test.c as regular user and root.